Whey protein is a type of protein that comes from whey, a by-product of cheese making. Whey, also often referred to as milk plasma, is the liquid that remains after the milk has curdled and the cheese has been made. This liquid tastes slightly sour and is particularly fresh, has a very high nutritional value and is rich in proteins, B vitamins, milk sugar, minerals and beta-glucans. In addition, unlike milk and cheese, whey contains little or no fat.
Based on the above, whey protein is a very healthy addition to the daily diet, however 95% of all whey proteins for sale in the store are full of unhealthy additives, such as refined and artificial sugars (e.g. aspartame, sorbitol and saccharin). ), soy, non-organic eggs, wheat gluten, preservatives and inferior proteins! These additions are not only unnecessary, they are also extremely harmful to health:
- Refined and Artificial Sugars: are harmful to the body and can lead to all kinds of complaints and disorders, such as diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol, headaches, migraines and even cancer. These sweeteners can also greatly disrupt the blood sugar level, hormone level and acidity of the body.
- Soybean: contains many substances that can lead to allergic reactions and inflammation. There are also phyto acids in soy, which extract minerals (especially calcium, magnesium and zinc) from the body. In addition, soy contains enzyme inhibitors, and the thyroid function is also negatively influenced by soy, which can lead to an imbalance in the hormone balance. Most soy is also genetically engineered.
- Eggs: are very healthy in themselves, but most whey protein contains eggs that are not organic. The used battery eggs are full of hormones and antibiotics, and the laying hens have had an inhumane life.
- wheat gluten: many people are allergic or intolerant to wheat gluten, often without knowing it. An allergy or intolerance to gluten can lead to inflammation, pain, diarrhea, bloating and/or flatulence.
- Preservatives: are often made from non-natural and the toxic substances and have no added value for health. Some preservatives can even be harmful to the body.
- Inferior proteins: come from factory farming and are made from animal (waste) products. These proteins are often packed with hormones, antibiotics and pesticides. In addition, these animal proteins are heated at high temperatures during the processing process, which releases toxic substances and largely loses the nutritional value, including that of the amino acids.
Which whey proteins are the best choice?
The best quality whey proteins are rich in nutrients and do not contain harmful ingredients such as refined and artificial sugars (eg aspartame, sorbitol and saccharin), soy, non-organic eggs, wheat gluten, preservatives and inferior proteins. Ekopura Organic Whey Protein is a good example of a whey protein that is guaranteed to be pure and clean.
Check out our here organic whey proteins.